Thursday, June 20, 2013

Bullying, in my Opinion...

I started this blog yesterday, but got all bogged down trying hard not to offend, being politically correct and well...sensitive.  It was not going well.  In fact, it was so much like all the phony baloney "correct" crap we encounter today.  So...

I said, "Forget it!"  I am going to state my truth, my opinion about bullying today.  Although it's not my intention to upset anyone, if I do...oh well.  Sorry.

Bullying...

Didja know that suicide rates for kids have tripled since 1960?  That's only 53 years ago so, about every 17 years the rate goes up another notch.  The big question is why?  Why...

are so many kids today killing themselves over bullying?  Are we right putting the onus on the school system as so many do?  I'm not pretending to be an expert, but I do know bullying has been around since Cain and Abel.  You gotta know Cain didn't just one day decide to off Abel...there had to be many "issues" between them and...I can guarantee there was some big brother bullying going down.

I know most bullies don't "murder" their victims physically, but they do attempt to kill their spirit and...

it seems by the suicide statistics these days, the bullies are winning much more than they did even a generation ago.  Again why?  How is it we're failing the victims of this onslaught?

I was bullied.  Lots of kids get bullied.  The assaults were generally words; mean, cruel, intentional slander.  Sometimes tripping or pushing occurred, but mostly I just remember sneering insults and mocking laughter. 

Did it hurt?  You betcha!  But...

never, ever did I entertain the notion to kill myself!  Kill the bullies, maybe...(just kiddin' really...no really)  

I was taught by my parents how to handle the "real" world and the school system reinforced it.  Here is some of the lessons I learned.

  • you are not special to anyone except your loved ones
  • this world is a "dog eat dog" world and if you don't protect yourself, someone will take advantage of you
  • trust no one until you've lived with them 6 months
  • everyone will fail you at some time about something
  • never bow down to your enemies, never let them see your fear, hurt, whatever
  • if you are able, put as much distance between you and the enemy as possible, if not, fight back

These lessons served my generation well.  Most of us overcame the obstacles in our life, including bullies.  Are we teaching today's children how to survive the "real" world or are we spoiling, mollycoddling, catering, protecting, pampering and indulging our kids too much?  Are we failing to equip them to the harsh realities so, they can't withstand the storms of life?  Like dealing with bullies...

Bullying isn't right, but it's a fact.  There have always been and will continue to be bullies everywhere; at school, the workplace, socially, etc.  We are not, NOT going to change this fact!  People seeking solutions need to get this through their heads!  Join reality!  While we preach the anti-bullying message, the bullies are laughing their asses off!  The only kids that might be reached are the uncommitted ones; the ones who were probably bullied themselves and just reacting to it.

The hardcore bullies don't care!

We need to toughen up our kids. We need to equip them to handle the stings of bullying and blow it off.  They need to have the strength to fight back by ignoring the verbal or texted abuse even when it hurts deeply.  They need to deal with the reality that there are mean, vicious people in this world and...

the bullying doesn't end in High School!

*************************************************************

One final thought...

Why, oh why, are the kids today subjecting themselves to texting or online abuse??  Jeez!  Have they never heard of shutting things off?  The bullies won't keep sending if there is no one receiving. 

*************************************************************

Toodle Loo Kangeroo!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate & welcome all your comments. If you comment, I know you're reading. Yeah!