Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Joys of Weeding...

This has been an interesting summer for me.  It is the first one in four years (yes! you heard right!) since I haven't hurt too much to really play in the dirt aka gardening.  It's been a year since I've had back surgery and although I'd hoped to be more improved than I am, at least it's better than it's been.  It sucks, but I rejoice in any and all steps forward!

With that in mind, even weeding in my garden and flower beds is dee...lightful!  Before I injured myself, I enjoyed playing in the dirt, but it was never quite so fulfilling as it is today.  Mostly I did it without much thought...

it was just one of those necessary tasks that I actually liked doing.  But now, it requires much thought and preparation.  Here is what I need to do these days in order to do what I once done on impluse...
  1. My new mantra... "Protect the back, Protect the back, Protect the back!"
  2. Gather gardening equipment including pail, shears, trowel, small rake, gloves, hat, bug spray, sunblock and... most important, foremost, crucial...
  3. The Pillow!  No, I do not intend to sleep in the garden!
  4. Put on kneepads... Yes, the knees are shot along with the back!
Sometimes I feel like I'm outfitting for war, instead of gardening, but heh, a gal does what she has to do...

After all this rigamole, I get myself situated on the pillow (no kneeling for this old lady anymore) and the pain pills do their job.  I hope to be able to garden at least as long has it took me to get ready for the job.  Discouraging?  Yes, it can be...  Disheartening?  At times... but...

little by little, day by day, I get the job done.  The sense of accomplishment is more than I ever experiienced pre-injury!  I do rejoice!





 
 

 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate & welcome all your comments. If you comment, I know you're reading. Yeah!