Thursday, August 15, 2013

Under the Circumstances...

My apologies Loyal Readers.  I have been tardy, negligent, remiss and yes...even indifferent about keeping up with my blog posts.  I know this is a most excellent way to lose faithful readers who make time in their busy schedules to read whatever "earth-shattering" pondering I may have put to paper and it is no way to build a readership.  I know it is disrespectful and ungrateful behaviour on my part. 

Did I not title my blog Growing Old Gratefully??? 

So whazup???  

Well...I have been attending a 3 week party.  Yes indeedy!  A Pity Party for one.  There!   I confess!  I have been feeling justifiably or not, sorry for myself. So, why the big downer?  Well...

let's face it...it takes effort to always see the light at the end of the tunnel

that the glass half full or...

belief in happy endings.

 I simply quit trying to "see" the many reasons I have to be grateful.  It is gratitude the gives our life light without which there is only darkness.  I know this, but sometimes, if I'm not careful I fall into the dark abyss. 

This has gotten me to contemplate why I stop being grateful?  What pushes me over the edge?

One of the Bible's scriptures tells us...   1 Thessalonians 5:18   In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

And of course the ever-popular verses Paul wrote...  Philippians 4:11-12  Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.

Here's the thing...I believe I shouldn't be dependant on "life" to keep me contented or grateful as it always has a way of disappointing.  Yet...I continually battle against allowing circumstances to defeat me.  Am I alone with this?

Sometimes I just get tired of the effort it can take to be optimistic and hopeful.  Sometimes...it's just seems impossible to be thankful for all things. It can be an enormous challenge to be contented regardless of circumstances. 

But I do long to become one of those who, like Paul, have the faith to always rise above the trials that befall us in life and continue to be grateful.  Then it occurred to me...I may be slow, but I eventually arrive...
I do indeed have that kind of  faith.  I do always...eventually...ultimately... rise above all my ordeals, in the end.  It just might take awhile.  Sometimes a "Pity Party" feels...

easy

simple

undemanding.

Cos, gosh darn it!!  Staying content and thankful requires effort!  Sometimes I just get lazy!

And really who knows how many "Pity Parties" Paul attended before he could claim he was "thankful in everything"?

So, although I long to reach that spiritual plane where nothing can disturb me or darken my mood, I'm not there yet.  I always regret it when I allow my negative heart space to interfere with my joy,but I am grateful (most of the time).  I do value all the good gifts in my life, including my Loyal Readers who take the time to check out my words.

There are times when a good old-fashioned pity party can feel in order.  I hope I'm not alone in this either??

So, Loyal Readers I'm back in the saddle again...


I hope I didn't lose too many of you along the party trail cos, I really do appreciate you....

**************************************************************

Ta Ta!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate & welcome all your comments. If you comment, I know you're reading. Yeah!