Monday, April 4, 2016

Flush the Idea...


I realize this is a touchy subject and maybe some may consider me a prude or terribly out of date.  I hope I can do this without being accused of being homophobic, a gay rights hater or any such nonsense but, so be it if I am.  I do not like, approve or condone unisex or non-gender washrooms.  No siree!

The idea of getting rid of male and female washrooms in favour of unisex ones just well...creeps me out.  I do feel a sensitivity toward transgender people and I don't have many great ideas how to solve their lavatory issues.  It must be very difficult dealing with this dilemma and it's a sad state when a transgender child is bullied when they use their washroom of choice.  But honestly, do parents really think non-gender washrooms will stop the meanness? It's not like the other students don't know who is transgender and who isn't. Perhaps, a bully-free facility might be in order!

Regardless, I don't want to be forced to share a washroom with males nor do I want my young granddaughter to see teenage or grown men using what has traditionally been a private, female space in order to protect the few.  I have rights as well!

Personally, I have no issues if a young mom brings her little boy into the ladies restroom.  I'm not so prissy as to think badly of a 6 or 7 year old boy using my facility because his mom is anxious about sending him alone into a men's.  Nowadays, I understand being this cautious. A defenseless little boy would be easy prey for any pedophile. But there is a limit.

Having said that, I don't dislike the idea of unisex washrooms because I fear the deviant behavior of some pervert. I'm not worried about a transgender girl using the facility.  In fact, I highly doubt I recognize or realize the difference if a male had assumed the female gender.  These are not my reasons. I am just genuinely uncomfortable and inhibited by having a teenage boy or adult man using the same space.  I don't even care if they use an enclosed stall as I'd hope open urinals wouldn't be in evidence, although who knows??

Is it wrong for me to say there is a "yuck" factor in dropping my drawers, knowing there is a male just a few inches away?  Perhaps some folks may think I'm wrong but, I don't think I'm alone.  I don't want to be surrounded by males when I apply lipstick or fix my hair. Not because these are as personal and private has actually going pee but, I still don't want it and it would be very unsettling for me.

Right or wrong, I have rights, too.  Despite the fact I'm not a discriminated minority; I shouldn't be denied my basic rights to privacy and well-being. There has to be a more acceptable solution; perhaps separate facilities for the LGBT community?  Or is that just too prejudicial?

Quite frankly, I'm tired of being accused of narrow-mindedness because I fight for my beliefs and rights. I didn't choose to be a heterosexual female anymore than a gay person chose so, why should my rights be denied?  Why should I be the uncomfortable or embarrassed person?  Why is what I desire less valid or essential than others?  Why do I have to suffer verbal abuse because I don't want to give up my rights to cater to the few?

I'm sympathetic but, non-gender washrooms are a horrible idea and as far has I'm concerned I hope it never happens because if it does I'll have to break all the rules and simply use the family washrooms.

Or God forbid, start wearing a diaper!

Toodle-loo...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate & welcome all your comments. If you comment, I know you're reading. Yeah!