Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I am an Old Car...

Dear Health Care Professionals,

I am an old car...


I know you've seen a thousand makes and models just like me this month.  I know we all have similar complaints; after all there are only so many things that can go wrong.  I know we're all looking to you to be fixed, but...

I don't care about the other nine hundred and ninety-nine and when we're together... nor should you.

I am an old car...

I know you feel unappreciated, overworked and unrewarded.  Don't we all?  I'm only asking you to do what you've been trained for, what you signed up for...

If I could fix myself...I wouldn't be bothering you.

I am an old car...

So, when you look under the hood, please look as if for the first time and really see ...  Just because  I look and sound like so many others, I'm not.  My mileage is different and I may have been down much bumpier roads.  You don't know who may have used or even abused me in my life...be gentle...

be kind. 

I am an old car...

Treat me like you would if I were your sister's or your mother's.  If it's something serious, like engine trouble, have "real" compassion.  I've been down too many roads not to spot phoniness. 

I am an old car...

I want to be rebuilt and shiny new again.  I know you can't do this, but you must realize, I see you as my rescuer, my fixer...   If I can be restored, but must stay in the shop for awhile, take the time to tell me all the details. Be clear and use layman language because, you see, I really don't understand your professional jargon.

I am an old car...

If I've seen too many miles and the damage is irreparable, tell me truthfully, but with tenderness.  Prepare me as best you can about what will happen next.

I am an old car...

I have come to you expecting honesty, compassion, caring and if possible, restoration. I have come for this because...

this is what you do.

I am an old car...

 


4 comments:

  1. Your posts keep getting better and better!! This is awesome - you could have this one published all over!! Love it honestly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is grrrrreat!! I agree with Jamie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another good one Barb, and yes I also agree with Jamie!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate & welcome all your comments. If you comment, I know you're reading. Yeah!