Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Connect the Dots...


Remember when we were kids we'd play the game "Connect the Dots"? There would be a partial outline and in order to figure out what it was we'd have to connect all the dots correctly to see the full picture.  Something like this...


 
It got me to pondering how life is much like the connect the dots game; done correctly it makes sense, the picture becomes complete, but...done wrong it will end up all wonky.

We are given an outline in the form of our jobs, family, interests, hobby's, friends, whatever.  This outline is meant to give us a general idea how the "big picture"  is suppose to look.

How to connect the dots...

But so often, like a willful five year old, we refuse to follow the pattern and end up with an utter mess on our hands.

What to do, what to do?  The wisest action would be to look at what is already present in our life's and move forward from that point?  Am I good with my hands, but don't have a scholarly aptitude?  Is so, why would I try to please Mom and Dad by going to college to become a doctor?  Maybe I'd be happier becoming a mechanic, especially since my hobby is restoring old cars.  Dah!

How about that I know in my heart that I want to see the world and sail the seven seas.  Why would I get married and settle down, only to be miserable?  Get the picture?  Or...

What if you knew someone loved their job in sales, enjoyed being part of a large family, was interested in planting and growing, volunteered for the community gardens and surrounded themselves with like-minded friends.  Wouldja think this is their outline for life? 

Why, oh why, do we so often lament, "I just don't know why I'm here or what I'm suppose to be doing!"  Dah again!

Is it just too obvious and simple?  What would you tell that person?

Okay, okay, maybe there are a number of possible outlines this person might follow, but come on, everything about this life shouldn't send them down the road to living in a high rise as a recluse!  Right?

Yet...how many of us don't connect the dots correctly and wonder why we're so forlorn and depressed with our life?

I've done this...I do this...

Yes, indeedy I have created the wonkiest pictures because I won't connect the dots properly.  How about you?  
I realize it isn't exactly this simple...there are other factors like personality...upbringing...heritage...experiences...

these all affect who we are and what we'll become, but...here's the big BUT...

Wherever we are in life and no matter what has brought us to the present moment, it's still up to us whether we work with what we have or not.  Connect the dots to complete the picture or...

live with the mess!

*************************************************************

Tootle Loo! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate & welcome all your comments. If you comment, I know you're reading. Yeah!