Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I felt Shame...


This past Labour Day weekend Miss J invited me to join her in taking in Lee Daniel's movie, "The Butler".  I had heard of it and seen some previews, but otherwise didn't really know what it was about.  It's loosely based on the life story of a Afro-American man, Eugene Allen, who served as a butler at the White House for 34 years, through 8 administrations.  Much of the movie's content deals with the civil rights movement during the the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Although the movie is fiction, there is plenty of actual news footage interspersed throughout the film, depicting some of the real conflict and challenges Afro-Americans withstood during this tumultuous time.

The blatant hatred and prejudice toward black persons was extremely difficult to watch and on several occasions I was brought to tears.   Tears of shame for the atrocious actions committed by my race.  Shame that this ever happened.  Shame that it continues to happen. 

And not just white racism, but the discrimination many races feel toward anyone not their own...

"The Butler" is an excellent depiction of  what occurred during the civil rights movement.  There is an all-star cast including awesome performances by Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey.  It is eye-opening and heart-wrenching.  It is well worth going to watch on the big screen (something I don't usually do). 

I give it 5 stars and predict several academy awards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate & welcome all your comments. If you comment, I know you're reading. Yeah!