Friday, March 8, 2013

Wildcard Friday...

Here is a picture of my beloved puppy...


He is more than a dog.  He is my buddy...my support...my joy!  After injuring my back 3 1/2 years ago, I was in a great deal of pain while waiting on surgery, which was a long time coming.  Even after it was finally done, I still have daily, persistent pain.  This little dog has been my constant companion through it all.  He helps me face the pain and disability day...after...day...after...day.  He makes me laugh, is always underfoot, licks the tears from my face when I cry and loves me no matter how miserable I feel.

He is loved...

He is spoiled rotten...

Why else do we have pets?  So, my question is; why do some pet owners feel the need to "teach" their dog (who is a pet) to endure unreasonable rules and limits?

I get dogs need training to be housebroken, social, polite (no snapping or jumping up) not unlike how we teach our little children. And yes, some kids can so snap and jump up...

I get this...and I'm not speaking about pets who are abused or owned as a working animal (i.e. farm dog). That's a whole another blog. No, I'm just grieved by folks who get a dog as a family pet then, refuse to love or spoil it too  much.  Why else do we seek to bring this creature home, to do our housework??

I also, don't understand when pet owners treat their dogs unnecessarily harsh like forcing them stay outside when they ask to come in?  Sure they can ask repeatedly to come in and out (just like children) but, what is the big deal? Get off your lazy butt or get a doggy door!

Then there are owners who have stricter feeding schedules for their dog than high fashion, runway models do.  Why?  I've been told by dog owners that they don't want their dog to get fat.  Huh?  Is he/she planning to compete in a beauty pageant?  Is your poor, chubby puppy an embarrassment to you?  I agree being obese is no healthier for your pet than it is for humans, but don't you allow yourself treats or an extra serving now and then?  Well...

Or how about the pet owner who only allows their dog to stay on a certain mat or in a kennel (when allowed) in the house?  Double huh??  I get you may not want the dog to get on furniture if it is a large breed or sheds lots of hair, but to be confined to jail when inside...triple huh???

Most dogs are pets.  They are truly man's best friend. They deserve to be treated with love, respect and yes, amply pampered.


If not, why bring the dog home?
*************************************************************

Toodle Loo Kangeroo!

2 comments:

  1. HAHA I loved the pic of the dog on the couch!! Yes I agree, boundaries are good, but what is the point of a dog, if you aren't able to be friends with it. I went to get into bed the other night and Daisy was under the covers all snuggled up with hubby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a pet owner but I totally agree with you. If you are not willing to treat it like part of family, then leave it for some other family to adopt that will!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate & welcome all your comments. If you comment, I know you're reading. Yeah!